3D3, real-time 3D

The Big Game Project has already begun and most of my time goes into developing our game. But before I’ll begin writing about that journey I’ll sum up what I’ve done in the previous 3D course.

Our first assignment was to create two tile able textures, to get some challenge I decided to go with realistic grass and a brick wall texture. I had most problems with the grass texture because I did didn’t want the texture to look to boring but at the same time I didn’t want anything to stand out to much, just a plane grass texture basically. Although I thought it would be a challenge I’d never imagine how hard it actually would be because the pattern looks so easily repetitive.

For the grass I used 5 different grass and dirt textures I found on google and combined them together, but for the brick wall I used another more interesting approach.  We recently put up some new wallpaper at home and because I liked it so much I thought it would be interesting to make an texture out of it.

The process was more complicated than I thought even dough it was pattern-matched wallpaper and it was surprisingly hard to make it tile able but it was with no doubt a fun experience and is something I recommend and is something I’m going to try again.

Unfortunately I can’t find the external hard drive where I’ve saved the textures and pictures of the wallpaper, but when I do I’ll try to remember post them up here 🙂

On our second assignment was something much more complicated and a process which I learned much more from. We were to choose between two different assets and transform them into a high-poly object in 3DS MAX and then make a low-poly version of it and then bake the normal map and ambient occlusion from the high-poly object to make the low-poly object to look much more detailed than it actually is, this is too same as much memory as possible while making art to a game.

Before this assignment I never quite understood what difference it makes in polygons and how much memory that’s possible to save through a relatively easy method. I had many problems with the baking of the normal map dough, but in that way I learned many new tricks in Photoshop and how to make textures overall for 3D objects which is something I’ll have use of in the future.

But I have tried to bake normal maps from a more simple model and then it was no problem, I guess I just have to practice and practice to get a more greater result as it is with everything.

Here is the asset that I chose for assignment two, a bookshelf that i imported to UDK.

10150941_542351739213193_2032078580_n

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s